Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Sense of Community

I'm finding more and more that the community built in this country around craft beer is a loving one. Yesterday afternoon, a loyal customer, my age, came in asked "If you were going to buy a six pack right now, what would it be?". I responded that we had been out of Left Hand's Milkstout for awhile, and that was probably what I would go with. I explained the basics behind sweet stouts, thinking he was looking for something new to try. I check out the beer at the register. The guy takes the beer, eyes it, and then hands it to me and says "Merry Christmas". I don't think I've had something make me that happy in a long time. A simple act from someone I hardly know. It makes you feel good.

I keep a bit of a secret stash at work of oddball stuff, aged items, hard to find beers etc., and like to crack them out for good customers. That appreciation is returned, and I end up with things like a New Glarus Belgian Red. It seems that any and all involved are happy to share of any bounty they may come across. I can't really think of something, at least at the moment, that makes me happier than sharing a good beer (or wine for that matter) with friends. There is something inherently social about the whole thing. If you use proper glassware and present the beer, there is a visual aspect beyond simply looking at beer in the glass. You can toast, raise a glass, look others in the eye and enjoy a beverage that has been developed into an art form over thousands of years. I think there is something very human about that on a deep, basic level.

More reviews to come! I plan on doing Robert the Bruce tomorrow, and I'll try and keep the armchair philosophy at home next time...haha.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

more armchair philosophy!
we plebeians demand it!

Also, Merry Christmas.