Wednesday, December 26, 2007

De Proef Flemish Primitive Ale #2 Spoon Whacker

Split the Spoon Whacker last night with George before going out to the Jazzhaus. I don't have time to type up my review right now, but will post it a bit later today. New cell phones and cars are fun.

Alright, two days later, and here's what I've got from my notes:

De Proef corks are fun, even though they are synthetic. They give a nice pop. Poured this one into my Bordeaux glass (I find these work pretty well as an all purpose Belgian glass) and immediately there is noticeable funk in the air. Not as aggressive as some, but certainly present. Pours a slightly hazy gold, with a big fluffy, sticky white head. There is something quite noble about the look of this one.

The nose is fun, with bit of horse blanket to it. I'm picking up a touch of sweetness in it, and the classic Belgian pale nose is lurking around as well. Some white fleshed fruits are in the background as well.

Taste is full, but gentle. A little sourness up front, which is followed by pear, apple, and perhaps something citric. A touch of sweetness follows this up, but then the funk and yeast come in and dry the finish. Not a lot of alcohol presence in this one, despite being 9%. The drying finish and layers of flavor just keep me coming back for more. Every sip seems to bring up a new variation in the taste. Smashing. I will have to pick up a couple more of these to see how they cellar.

Ridiculously drinkable. This would be a good starting point to get into Flemish Ales for people. Overall I'd have to give this a 91. A stellar effort in an exceptional line of beers.

No comments: