Sunday, December 23, 2007

Boulder Obovoid Empirical Stout

So I lied about Robert the Bruce. I got this one as a freebie from Allen. Thanks! I was excited at the prospect of an Oak-Aged Imperial Oatmeal Stout, and while this one doesn't disappoint, it doesn't quite meet expectations.

Here goes:

Alright, a new beer from Boulder, lets see how this one is. Pours a rich, roasted black brown. The head is thick and chocolate-y. With the weather as cold as it is, it makes me want some Bailey's... The lacing on this one is sticky, leaving quite a trail of foam down the side of the glass. When held up to the light, just a touch of blood red/brown shows through. This is a pretty beer.

Smell is roasty, with notes of chocolate, coffee, with a small touch of booze. There is more hop in the nose than I expected, but it seems appropriate. Perhaps an American stout that is, gasp, balanced is on the way. I can only hope.

The taste is malty throughout. Chocolate malts prevail, with notes of coffee, caramel, and a touch of hops. The oatmeal lends a smoothed over feel to the whole affair. What I am left wondering is, is this actually oaked? There could perhaps be a note of wood if I try really hard, but it seems that this could have used another couple of months in barrels. If there was no claim of oaking, I suppose I would rate the taste higher. Getting on with things. There is a bit of sweetness right before the finish, which is not sweet at all. The hops bring in a nice, dry finish. This finish is aided by the booze in the finish.

The mouthfeel on this one is wonderful. There is a smoothness in this one that Guinness can only dream of. This is a joy to drink, but I am simply left wanting more from the flavor. A fine effort, and perhaps in the years to come they will perfect this one.

A solid 85.

Work has been insane of late. I've been pushing 60 hours a week. If nothing else, stuff is finally starting to get done. Woo!

No comments: