Saturday, January 24, 2009

One good De Struise deserves another (aka the day I tried Black Albert)

After a lovely afternoon of planning to commit malicious acts with electrified stringed instruments with an old friend, a fine meal at 23rd street brewery, and listening to my favorite band from junior high and high school cracked way up on the entertainment center, I am feeling indulgent.

That's right, folks: BLACK ALBERT!

I won't bore you with many details about the brewery (see the previous post) but I will provide some quick stats for those of you wanting to really geek out on this one.

Black Albert Stat Sheet:
  • 100+ IBUS (not that it is particularly bitter, it just is needed to balance the malt)
  • 160 EBC (Guinness is not dark beer, this is dark beer)
  • 13% abv (that's right, it is in wine territory)
I am giddy.

The top pops off, and drops to the floor. A pause in music and the clack of WoW enthralled roommates keyboards ceases. A faint hiss issues forth, and the sound of light metal on linoleum can be heard.

Let it be noted that light does not pass through this liquid, it slowly crawls through, only to be trapped and die.. It is not the blackest beer I have ever seen, but its opacity, and visually apparent viscosity is unsurpassed. A slight ring of dark cocoa sticks to the sides of the glass, making sure you know that the sugar content in this one is enough to put you into a coma.

The nose is boozy, and thick with chocolate nibs, Belgian yeast esthers, dark fruit, roasted malt, vanilla, and even a woody cognac note. I am actually a bit surprised that there isn't a bit more going on in the nose. My bottle is at appropriate serving temp, so this must be it. Perhaps I am a bit stuffed up...

Oh. I get it now. There isn't a whole lot going, but what is going on is just so damn well done that it more than makes up for it. All the notes of the nose follow, blended seamlessly. This puts me in the mind of a half and half of GI Bourbon County Stout (sans the strong bourbon character) and Rochefort 10 blended. Deliciously roasty, and the 13% abv doesn't really come out at all, other than providing a nice warming sensation, which is welcome considering the current 19 degree temperature.

While this isn't quite what I had it built up to be in my mind, it truly is a treat. You do not run into such a pleasing hybridization/new style that often, and when it is executed well, the result is quite rewarding. This is a must try.

No comments: