Friday, November 30, 2007

Fraoch Heather Ale

With the change in weather, beer sales are sadly slowing and my interactions with customers turn to a greater focus on wine. I am almost sad in a way, but I've been working on my wine knowledge of late so I am getting to stretch my new chops.

In any case, this evenings drink of choice is Fraoch Heather Ale, produced by the Williams Bros. Brewing company of Alloa Scotland. This should be an interesting go round, as this beer is un-hopped. It is instead flavored with heather flowers.

Pours a murky burnt orange, with a bright white head. A half inch had rises to the brim of the glass, but quickly fades down to a ring with some patchy coverage over the beer proper. Very few bubbles break the surface after the initial pour. There is minimal, patchy lacing on the glass.

The smell is quite unique. The heather is readily apparent. It reminds me of a wind open meadow in late spring, after everything has come into bloom. Distinctly floral notes combine with a fair amount of malt sweetness to to present an intriguing, if not enticing, nose.

Taste follows much in line with the nose, with the floral, slightly clove-like heather flavor hitting the tongue first. The malt bill is quite sweet, and at the end of each sip I am left expecting the balancing hop bitterness that will never come. Perhaps a homebrew version of this, except with the addition of hops would be a good choice... All in all the flavor is pleasant, but lacks depth. The taste is just too sweet for this to be one to keep coming back to.

Mouthfeel is a bit flat, with the carbonation fizzing out rather quickly. Slightly viscous, there is a sense of a film forming on the tongue. Not unpleasant, but odd. A touch of a numbing sensation follows.

Overall: 6/10 A unique beer, but not actually "good" by my taste. I am glad have tried it, and will view it as what it is: part of the historical evolution of beer.

No comments: